Western American Studies Certificate
1. Concurrent enrollment in an undergraduate degree program at University of Colorado Boulder.
2. 18 hours of coursework from the certificate program course list as follows:
3 credits intro course (CAMW2001, The American West)
3 credits natural sciences
3 credits social sciences
3 credits humanities
3 credits electives
3 credits capstone course (CAMW4001, Seminar on the American West)
3. A total of 6 credit hours (in addition to CAMW4001) must be upper division.
4. A total of 6 credit hours (in addition to the two CAMW courses) must be outside the student’s major.
5. Maintenance of a C average, and a grade of C or better for all certificate program courses.
6. No transfer credits may be applied.
7. Only courses for which a student receives a grade, rather than credit/non-credit or pass/fail, will count toward completion of the program.
8. A maximum 3 credits of independent study (CAMW4840) and a maximum of 3 credits of internships (CAMW3939) may be applied toward program electives and subject areas.
9. All course work must be completed within a period of 8 years.
10. Students must attend a minimum of 3 Center of the American West events and submit a brief (2-3-pages, double-spaced) reflection paper about the program, drawing from events and classes, due before Thanksgiving for Fall certification, and before Spring break for Spring certification.
11. Certificates will be awarded following a satisfactory review of official transcripts and completion of a University of Colorado Boulder degree.
12. Petitions to alter any of the above requirements must be approved by the Center’s faculty director.